The NHBRC will pursue and ensure that a home builder meets their obligations in terms of the Act. In particular, the NHBRC will ensure that:
• A home builder rectifies minor defects identified by the housing consumer within the first three-months of occupation
• A home builder rectifies a roof leak identified by the housing consumer within one-year from date of occupation
• A home builder rectifies major structural defects identified by the housing consumer within five-years from date of occupation
2. Keep a copy of all correspondence between themselves and the home builder
3. Allow the home builder reasonable access to the property in order to fix the defects
4. Ensure that all financial obligations to the home builder are met.
*Deposit theft or irregularity Refer complaint to Commercial Crimes Unit
*Contractual disputes Refer to your Legal representative/ Attorney
Include the following documentation when lodging a complaint:
• Proof of occupation date of the home (e.g. Municipal occupation certificate.)
• Proof of notifications sent to the home builder within the necessary time period
• A complete list of the terms of dispute notified to the home builder.
• Lodge the complaint with supporting documentation at the nearest NHBRC provincial customer service center. Click here for full contact list
• Request that the parties resolve this matter through legal proceedings as the matter falls under the Act.
• Provide a dispute and resolution process