CONTRACT TYPE : 5 YEARS FIXED TERM CONTRACT
AA/EE : NOT APPLICABLE
JOB GRADE : PEROMNES 5
REPORTING TO : MANAGER: RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
LOCATION : SUNNINGHILL
Organizing, designing, managing and carrying out research projects for green building technologies and conventional and innovative building systems and technologies to enhance the service offerings of the NHBRC.
The Individual will primarily be responsible for, but not limited to the following:
• Develop research proposals.
• Define and refine research objectives.
• Design and set-up research projects.
• Use mathematical and computer simulation techniques to conduct research on technical requirements for conventional and innovative building systems (Fire, acoustics, thermal, durability, etc.).
• Develop and perform technical assessments of conventional and innovative building systems to meet technical requirements of the NHBRC.
• Develop frameworks, guidelines and policies to promote innovative building technologies (IBT) in human settlements.
• Review and develop Quality Control manuals for IBT.
• Research the performance of new and existing products, materials, systems and green building technologies.
• Develop methodologies and perform site investigations and evaluations of IBT systems.
• Investigate and develop methodologies for forensic engineering processes / practices.
• Research and develop appropriate remedial works technologies.
• Develop technical standards for new warranty products.
• Research and develop models for housing performance (e.g. thermal, acoustics, condensation, fire etc.).
• Development of technical publications and training materials.
• Provide inputs to the review and update of NHBRC Technical Requirements, the Home Building Manual and the Guide to the Manual.
• Project management of special projects.
• Contribute and perform any other research assigned as per the Research Agenda, or as required to advance the strategic objectives of NHBRC.
• Provide advice to technical staff as required.
• Present technical publications at conferences, workshops and industry technical committees.
• Liaise with stakeholders and dealing with queries as they arise.
• Provide contributions to the review and development of technical policies, procedures and guidelines.
• Contribute to the attainment of ISO 9001 standards of the Business Unit.
• Identify and advise about possible strategies for the NHBRC.
• Develop action plans for future research work.
• Prepare and present tenders for new research projects.
• Controlling budget.
• Contribute to sourcing of research funds.
• Coordinate reports submission.
• Check accuracy of the reports.
• Distribute reports to the Manager.
• Prepare draft letters and memorandums for the Executive and Business Unit.
• Type letters and relevant documentation for the Business Unit.
• Ensure accuracy in letters, memorandums, reports and meetings submission documents.
• Proofread, format and align documents submitted to the Executive for approval.
• Monitor action lists from general and research meetings on behalf of the Executive and advice on urgent and important issues that require the Executives action.
• Maintain confidentiality on sensitive information and intellectual property rights.
• Adhere to company policies, processes and procedures at all times.
• Build, support and maintain healthy diverse internal and external relations and implement remedial actions where required.
• Provide relevant support to stakeholders to ensure team objectives are achieved.
• BSc Building Sciences/Construction Technologies
• Professional Registration with South African Council for The Architectural Profession (SACAP)
or South African Council for Natural Scientific Professions (SACNASP)
• Masters/ PhD Building Sciences / Construction Technologies / Architectural advantageous
• 5 Years’ experience in a similar role
• Valid Driver’s license
The above-mentioned position will be offered on a 5-year fixed term contract with a Total Cost To Company package.
Please note the following contact details are for enquiries about JOB CONTENT ONLY and NOT for application purposes.
Ms. Bathabile Gabaza
Tel: (011) 317 0142
CLOSING DATE: 19 October 2022
Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Building Scientist” in the subject line. Applicants are informed that correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. If notification of an interview is not received within 1 month after the closing date, candidates may regard their application as unsuccessful.
Disclaimer: The National Home Builders Registration Council (NHBRC) will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan. The NHBRC reserves the right not to make an appointment. Candidates will be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments. In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the National Home Builders Registration Council is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups.